Find out what is the best time to visit the Caprivi strip in Namibia and what you need to consider for each season.
Namibias Caprivi strip is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places to visit in Africa. It boasts of rich wildlife, diverse culture, and stunning landscapes. If you’re planning a trip to this region, you may be wondering when the best time to visit would be. Each season has its unique features and activities that make it memorable. This article will highlight the different seasons in the Caprivi Strip and what you need to consider.
The picture above was taken at the end of August, when the Kalahari-Apple-Leave starts to flower in pinkish tones all over the Mahango Core Area.
Winter in Caprivi-strip (June to August)
Winter is a popular season to visit the Caprivi Strip, particularly for wildlife enthusiasts. The dry season makes it easier to spot animals as they tend to congregate around water sources. This counts for all the National Parks, which you can visit in Namibia. Temperatures can drop to around 5°C at night, so make sure to pack warm clothing. Some of the activities that you can enjoy during this time include:
- Game Drives – Take a guided tour and get a chance to see herds of elephants, lions, and other wildlife or go on a Self-Drive safari in your own pace.
- Fishing – The dry riverbeds make it easy to access fishing spots which are abundant with fishes.
- Canoeing – The low levels of water in the rivers make it accessible with ease! Do not miss out a Mokoro Tour, which is a traditional kind of canoe build with only one stam of a streight tree like sausage trees or ebony.
Summer in Caprivi-strip (November to March)
Summer is the rainy season in the Caprivi Strip and here it will usually have more rain than in other parts of Namibia. Temperatures can climb up to 40°C, making it an excellent season for those who love warm weather. It’s also a great time to spot migratory birds, and the lush green vegetation makes everything look beautiful. But do not forget insect repellant! Mosquitos love the warm and humid temperatures, so you should be prepared. Also make sure you have a 4×4 car because roads will get muddy and slippery, even some accomodations are only accesible by a 4-wheel drive. Some of the activities you can enjoy during this time include:
- Bird Watching – The rain brings in a lot of birds that breed during this period, so it’s perfect for bird enthusiasts.
- Boat Cruises – With an abundance of water bodies, the rains open many broken bridges that are used for different purposes.
- Fishing – The rains refill the rivers and provide more chances of catching fish.
- Game Drives – still its a perfect location to go on a safari drive but keep in mind that most animals can hide in the green vegetation but you might be able to spot wildlife with their offspring.
Autumn in Caprivi-strip (March to June)
Autumn is a transition period from summer to winter, and it offers some of the most beautiful sunsets as the weather cools down. This is also a period where wildlife is more active, and the breeding season starts. Some of the activities that visitors can enjoy during this time include:
- Sundowner Drives – Enjoy beautiful sunset views while taking a guided tour through the savannas of the Caprivi Strip.
- Fishing – Water temperatures are just perfect for fishermen, and many fish species are on their breeding grounds.
- Bird watching – Autumn is a beautiful time for bird watching, as many species raise their young during this season.
- Game Drives – wildlife becomes more active due to breeding season.
In conclusion, it’s important to consider what you want to do and see when deciding the best time to visit the Caprivi Strip. Regardless of when you visit, you’ll have a chance to experience the rich wildlife, culture, and stunning landscapes that make this region unique. Happy exploration!
You want more information about the best time to visit Namibia? Have a look at our Seasons-Guide